Saturday, September 08, 2007

Confidence?

Sometimes I wonder if people around me do take note of everything I say or not. Sometimes I ask myself if I am speaking clearly ot not. Sometimes I doubt that what I say is taken for what it's meant.

Communication is indeed such a hassle.

But I guess in the end, it's a matter of confidence. I have met people who can talk a whole lot of nothing but still sound convincing. I seriously wonder how he pulled such a thing off. I was sitting there, looking at him talk to a client, and while the client was believing every word he says and listening ardently, I couldn't even make heads nor tails of his words. Big jargons were thrown out without much thought, I swear it was all in English, but nothing made any sense. But he did it with pure confidence, and the clients bought it.

Suckers.

It just goes to show how much you can get away with if you can speak English confidently, and also possess the ability to string a whole lot of big words that have no connection to each other whatsoever into a sentence. I am still baffled by it.

All you need to do to sound convincing in Malaysia is to talk fast, insert big words sparingly, make sure the person on the receiving end knows that he has a lesser grasp of the lingo than you do, and voila. You're a genius!

How much sadder can this nation get?

oh... judging from the fact that the gomen is dishing out so many 'feel good' changes to our lives, I'd agree with all those who are speculating that election is coming.

5 years unpaid leave? I've seen departments and companies closed down after 2 years. 5 years on, and your job would still be waiting for you? Hah!

But what do we care? We're Malaysian. All we need is to be able to feel good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few posts ago you were supporting Malaysia. Haha.

And I get that string-of-words thingy, people who know the language will know the person is talking absolute rubbish :P But others, hmm, they feel intimidated by the big words and act as if they understand to "save-face".

I don't know about you, but when people use big words with me I ask them why do you want to use such big words? Haha. Then I ask them to explain it and then they go like, "..." cause it ain't Malaysian to not "save-face" and tell the person that, "Sorry boss. Tak faham". Muahaha.

September 08, 2007 8:19 am  
Blogger Michele Yong said...

"I have met people who can talk a whole lot of nothing but still sound convincing."

Sounds like what Paul and I would do haha.

September 08, 2007 12:11 pm  
Blogger DeGiRL said...

hahah! oh yeah.. it was so so soooooooo easy to fool my *coughmalaycough* teachers last time..hahah! it's still fun to pull on friends nowadays.. hahaha! but then.. not too much lah...have to know my limits.... hehe.. but it's fun...hahah! seriously fun...

September 10, 2007 1:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring