Thursday, April 20, 2006

A visit from a Fairy...

No, not the Kinky Blue Fairy...

But it's weird how small this world is.

I was a freshie back then, just out of Uni, and as all Freshies do, I sent out resumes to all the addresses that I can find in hope that I will land myself an interview. And so, one fine day, I was browsing the papers for my first job and there was this particular agency that came up with quite a good recruitment ad. I still remember the words. "Copywriter with backbone still attached". So I gave them a call, and I was on my way for an interview within 2 hours. And after a week or so, I landed myself my first job. As easy as that.

Well, before that, I have already sent out numerous letters and emails asking for an interview. I think I went for 6 interviews before I landed my first job. A few of them were in far-away places, and a couple of them had some Multi-Level-Marketing company as their main client well, both of them had the same client in fact. That was a weird situation.. I went to this agency, and they told me that the bulk of their work is doing this leaflet that comes out monthly for this MLM's members. Then I went for another interview somewhere else two days later, and the fellas showed me the same leaflet and said that they were their main clients... de ja vu in the weirdest sense... but that's another story...

So back to the fairy, if you still remember that this post is about the fairy. The Fairy was my 7th interview.

(But then you said you got your job within 6 interviews!!)

Yes, my 7th interview.

Well, the whole story unfolded like this. I just signed my offer letter a few days ago, and then this agency, which I sent my resume via snail mail, called me up and asked me to go down to Bangsar for an interview. I told the girl on the other side of the line that I've just signed my Offer Letter, but she asked me to go meet her anyway. So, since I still have yet to start work, and I had time to burn, I went down to meet these people.

It was the weirdest interview ever. I went into the room knowing full well that I will not be accepting anything from her, and she will not be offering me anything. So we talked. No intentions of me working for her, and she had no intentions of hiring me. But it was an enlightenment no less.

It went well, considering the circumstances and in the end, she said something along the lines of, "If you hadn't got yourself a job, I would've offered you something, and we could see how things have gone." But that's just that. I had too much integrity in me to back-off from my word to the first agency, and we left each other just like that. A meeting of two minds. Nothing more, nothing less

Well, she did inspire me. I went home and checked her work out and found out that she was indeed very, very good.

Now looking back, if only I had gone under her wings when I had the chance almost 2 years ago. I would be a totally different copywriter, and that would've set my direction properly in this industry. Now thinking of it, I can't help but feel slightly regretful I didn't ditch the first one and went for her agency.

Now, the window of opportunity has closed, and I am walking on a different road. "Time, it passes, it does not stand still" (Jonathan Tse; Purpose; 2005), and there's no going back.

But suddenly, I find her visiting my blog... I mean I found her blog by accident, and only knew that it was her after leaving a comment in a post of hers.

Well, that's that then.

It was a case of "If Only"... Nothing more, nothing less...

5 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 20, 2006 10:44 pm  
Blogger Bea said...

fuyoo...promoting jon's album..hahaha..very good! XP

eh..put the link oso mah XD...www.jonathantse.com...

April 20, 2006 10:46 pm  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

B: I can't link... my browser doesn't let me... The short cut keys don't work, and the interphase lacks a lot of buttons... Well, you'd expect some jungle technology if your browser is named 'Safari'...

April 21, 2006 9:56 am  
Blogger Bea said...

guna html bah....=P

here's some help on html linking....simple stuff...

April 21, 2006 5:25 pm  
Blogger 95% The Advertising Academy said...

And the fairy is back again ...

(you're the second person to call me that!)

The fairy says nothing ever happens by accident! So maybe, us meeting in blogland is a new beginning for your copywriting career?

I'm really touched by your post, though I can't quite put a face to your name. Thank you, I'm glad you were inspired.

If you want to get in touch, email me at janetlee@95percent.com.my

April 21, 2006 7:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring