Monday, October 24, 2005

Who am I? What Do I want?

It's weird.

Just when you think you know who you are, and who you want to be, you lose all focus in life and you want to experience something new.

It's like once you get your finger on something, you'd want something else.

I've been wroking as a copywriter for a good year plus. And suddenly it dawned in me that maybe, JUST maybe, it's not for me. I am looking at myself and go, I know my strengths and weaknesses, and writing copy for ads is maybe my 3rd highest strength. I have been to a major international ad agency, was there for 3 months, saw almost everything there, how people worked, I was in a really small agency where everyone was doing the one-leg-kicking thing, and I've been working at a medium sized, fully local agency where I got booted out for incompatibility, and I'm now at a small agency where my skills are not put to good use.

I'm guessing I've seen it all. And seriously, I don't see much a future in copywriting. I mean, I don't see myself doing this for my entire life. Teaching, maybe... But I'm more of a practical kind of guy. I like to get my hands dirty, doing practical things, like problem solving, maybe a bit of man-management... But I don't have any relevant experience, and I don't have much of a qualification. All I have is a Degree in Communications...

Then, there's this thing about me having my own entreprise which I will use for the glory of God. Well, I seriously doubt this bit of prophesy on my life. None of my relatives are business people, and I don't have anyone to refer to. I see a few opportunities here and there to set-up my own business, but it's not something that is entirely to my liking. Well, I am keeping an open eye for business opportunities, but still, I'm at the crossroads.

I can go in so many directions. I can stay in copywriting for the time being, but it seems that (and it's rather apparent in the blog) my writing style calls for a more magazine/newsletter business. Should I venture into writing columns? and slowly get myself into publishing? Or should I venture into events management out of my liking for practical things, and getting my hands dirty? Or maybe I should venture into lecturing / teaching english or communications?

I know I have the ability to write, and through my writing entertain my readers. I know that I can come up with some thought provoking stuff. But how can I turn such things into a money-making opportunity?

4 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

work full-time in church!! hehehe....

*hides behind hostage* XD

October 24, 2005 7:28 pm  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

Kills Hostage and loses money... But you're going down!!!

But Bea, I've thought about it... and I was working as an temp staff a few years ago. I loved it. But it's not my calling. By working in church, I will only get to inflluence the people in church. But by being in the corporate world, I get to influence the world.

:)

October 25, 2005 9:15 am  
Blogger Bea said...

darn....*tab* *tab*



*respawn* hehehe....


yeah, i know wat u mean...not much 'saving' to do there....

October 25, 2005 5:18 pm  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

Gab: Thanks for the cahnge in perspective...

Haven't really thought of those areas as such...

Maybe I could give FHM and stuff a try... Do you know how i might be able to give it a try? what are the procedures of getting myself listed as a writer in their books??

October 31, 2005 7:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring