Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Free??

Well, they say the best things in life are FREE!!!

*Pardon me, I have been programmed to write the word 'FREE' in all caps by my botmaster*

Ah, back to the subject.

So, the best things in life ar FREE, supposed to be...

So, there was this funny thing that I meet everyday to and from the office. If you haven't noticed, I take the LRT to downtown KL to work. And every other morning, I will be greeted by someone trying to sell an idea, a product, or something fishy. Well, most of the time, it's something fishy.

I wonder why these people are given the freedom to 'cheat' people into buying into the idea that there's profit in doing nothing. I always take a pass on this familiar guy/girl that stands at the end of the escalators to hand out a flyer with a big smiley on one side, and information on how to earn more than RM2,000 per month at home!

Now, common sense tells me that if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

Now, the problem with this is that there are now more and more people doing the same thing. It used to be the LRT station near my office. Now, there's a fella trying to pass me the same leaflet for the umphteenth time at the station where I park my car!!!

Well, that's one issue.

And now, what's worse is, there's a hoard of nicely groomed people, in suits, ties and a never-say-die attitude manning the turnstills of the station. Apparently, they have been programmed to pick on those who's demographics look like they are either gullible or earn a large amount of money. I've been given the pass from this bunch for obvious reasons. I wear t-shirts and jeans to work. But today, I was seriously tempted to stop and ask them, "Why are you doing this? What's in it for you?"

Seriously, these aren't stupid people, neither do they look like those who are gullible and can be easily cheated. But why are they doing this? It is obviously a scam, well, at least I feel that it's a scam.

This has to do with ethics, and sad to say, a lot of us in Malaysia are finding it hard to balance between living a hard ethical life compared to throwing ethics onto the back seat, and earn as much as you can while you still can.

Life in the Big City is simple. Either you throw ethics away, and try to earn every cent possible, or you keep your ethics and suffer. And the problem with us, humans, is that our nature is always to have things 'easy'. We work so hard when we are young because we want to have an easier life when we're old. But some of us want to work 5 years, and spend the next 50 years lazily.

So, a lot of us are more than prepared to ditch our ethics, in search for riches.

And once we reach our 'target' of earning 'my first million by the age of 27', we take a step back, and we worry about why society is on the decline. We are alarmed at the crime rate, the rapists that are so rampant out there, and the amount of snatch thefts that are featured on the local dailies.

And somehow, we fail to realise that we contributed to such things by letting our moral values decline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring