Friday, September 02, 2005

Now that the cat's outta the Bag...

I can write freely about my resignation.

Well, first of all, the main reason that I am leaving is that the agency needs a senior copywriter, and my 9 months experience prior to joining them did little to prepare me for the task that awaited me. So, I guess business is business, and when the agency didn't want to confirm me, I get the hint. Thanks to the boss in a way that he let me leave with my pride intact.

Now, the series of events that happened prior to me resignation.

Monday 22nd Aug: Boss reviewed me, told me that I am weak in certain areas and thus pro-longed my probation period.

Tuesday 23rd Aug: Ex-agency yahoo msg'ered me asking how I felt if I were to go back. Didn't tell them about the review and the pro-longed probation period, held an extra card in my hands.

Wednesday 24th Aug: Felt demotivated at work, haven't gotten much sleep over the matters so I called my mom and talked things over, trying to hint that I will leave this present company even if it means that i will be jobless. Made up my mind to look for a job. Found a copy of The Classifieds lying at the bottom of my staircase dated 22nd Aug. Picked it up and found 1 single ad looking for a Copywriter with minimum 2 years working experience. Grumbled about the employment market and why aren't there any agencies looking for writers.

Thursday 25th Aug: Fine-tuned my resume, checked for spelling and typo errors, and emailed it to the abovementioned agency. They called in half an hours' time asking me to go for an interview on that same evening. Told them I'll try to make it after work, and they chose to wait for me. The interview didn't go too well by anyone's standards, I had no portfolio with me, and they had nothing to refer to, so it was a 'Hi, Bye' type of interview. Left without much hope, but still, they gave me a test assignment, and I duly obliged. Actually was thinking about returning the information brochure that they wanted me to write on because it seemed that it was a waste of both my time and thiers.

Friday 26th Aug: Felt sad waking up to a hopeless morning. Went to work, bought the papers in hope that I can find another recruitment ad. And remarkably, nothing!!! No one wants to hire a copywriter!! I had nothing to do at the office during lunch-hour, so I started writing the test. Spent a good 15 minutes re-structuring the Unique Selling Propositions, and re-writing them in my own words and sent it to them after a good spell check.

[Fast Forward]

Monday 29th Aug: To my disbelief, they called me asking me to join them! So, the tug-of-war between getting my offer letter before handing in my resignation letter began. They wanted me on board asap, and I had to serve 7 days notice. Asked me to get my offer letter on Tuesday night, but I wasn't free, so I declared to be there on Thursday, since Wednesday was a public holiday.

Tuesday 30th Aug: Typed out my resignation letter before I left for the holidays, and planned to get a colleague to hand it to my boss. But decided later that it was a bit rude to have done so... Thursday, I was on-leave, brought parents to Genting for a day trip.

[Fast Forward]

Friday 2nd Sept: Came in, retyped the resignation letter, changed the dates, and handed it in. So now, my last day will be next Thursday.

So, I consider it divine intervention that I found the copy of classifieds that led to my new job at a rubbish heap.

Now, back to work...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like your luck is changing.. and Big Daddy is smiling down on you from above :o)

September 05, 2005 12:00 pm  
Blogger Chief said...

A fresh start again. start it well my friend.

September 05, 2005 1:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring