Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A funky housemate...

I have nothing else to rant about, so maybe I should rant about this funky housemate of mine...

Well, a little background... The fella lives in the living room, and how this happened was a series of 'should-have-known-better' kind of events. It was around February this year, and he had 2 months before completing his degree at the College that Loves your Money. So happened at that time, there was another friend looking for a place to stay, and since this friend was already bunking with my other housemate in the master room, he offered this friend his room, in view that he was going off after his degree. So that's how he struck a deal and stayed outside, in the living room. And since he won't be paying rent, and we can't have a free-rider, we got him to pay for the utility bills. Now, he comes home to sleep every-now-and-then. Where he spends his nights, I really don't know, and can't be bothered to know.

Now about the utility bills... My parents were in town a few days back. So naturally, I roughed it out at the living room, and slotted my parents into the small room of mine. They didn't mind roughing it out, so, there I was, sleeping outside with the mosquitos. And since the mosquitos and the heat were so bad, I decided to switch on the air-con, in view of chipping-in when the bills came. So I was a happy camper until the third day, I came home and found that the remote control for the air-con was missing. And this is not the first time. The previous time it went missing, I happened to found it by mistake. My Cell Group had to switch times one fine week, and we had no other place to go. So I offered to meet at my cramped apartment. (Note: The fella's stuff is normally all over the living room) So I messaged my housemates, telling them about the meeting, and that I will be cleaning the living room. And lo-and-behold, while I was re-arranging some stuff this guy stacked up, which looked precariously perched on top of a big box, I stumbled upon the air-con remote hidden beneath some hard box where his stand-fan stood. And as of this morning, the remote is still not within sight.

I keep telling myself not to judge this guy, but he's got actus-reas and mens-rea. It's him who's paying the bills, and probably, he's not in a good financial situation because he's still not found a job, and the usage of the air-con would definately hike up the electricity bills.

Although I must admit that I didn't tell him that I would help out with the bills because I used to air-con, but he wasn't home half the time. And besides, I don't think I would be as irrational to not help-out with a rough amount of what I would have used over that 1 week.

But that was the line. You can judge me, you can lie to me, heck you can even rip-me-off, I don't mind. But when you question my integrity like that? Hiding the remote because you think that I won't pay you back? Now that is something else. And apparently, this guy is not too bright as well. There's always a manual switch located inside the filter flap of any conventional air-con... I think all air-cons come with that. So I still went about sleeping happily with the air-con on anyways, with or without the remote. The only thing is that I can only enjoy the unit's last remembered settings...

So last night, I confronted him. And guess what!?? He acted as if it was a surprise to him as well! THE NERVE!!! He came home complaining about the heat, and being very tired and all that, so I dropped a hint, saying something like "Well, if you didn't hide the remote, we would be able to enjoy some deserved air-conditioning." I said that twice and he acted as if he didn't hear it, I think he was supposedly panicking how to react to my accusations. Then after I rephrased the same thing, he came out in a very loud voice, exclaiming what we all already knew 3 days ago, "Ui, where's the air-con remote oh?" and proceeded to attempt to find it among his pile of junk.

I remember clearly, that the remote was sitting nicely tucked in its wall mount the last time I used it.

Now it's gone...

And it's time this housemate's going as well.

That was the last draw.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 06, 2005 10:12 am  
Blogger Chief said...

the times, they are a changing

September 06, 2005 10:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Structured wiring
Free Web Counter
Structured wiring